Monday 11 November 2013

Lest We Forget

Well Hello Everyone. First of all I want to say you are all amazing :)
I never really noticed how each one of you mean to me until I have been out here and let me tell you that I love you all! Each of you! You mean so much to me. :)

Well this week I am  going to change my letter up just a tad. I am going to say the things that really stood out to me, not each day though. Maybe if I have time.

So the two things that really stood out to me were quotes that I heard. With remembrance day being today, we had sacrament on it and it was wonderful. I am truly filled with gratitude towards every person that has, are and will serve in any military in the world. I know its quite
a lot of general statements but these men and woman have sacrificed so much so that we are able to have the freedoms we do. We remember those that make these sacrifices once a year but I feel that we need to remember them everyday. Not only them but their families who have and still sacrifice in the name of freedom. It makes me think of a
scripture, " Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." - John 15 :13.

We must honor these people. Please take a moment to remember those who have sacrificed.
Listen to this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kX_3y3u5Uo

And read this :
             Flanders Fields
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
     Between the crosses, row on row,
  That mark our place; and in the sky
  The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
  Loved and were loved, and now we lie
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
  The torch; be yours to hold it high.
  If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

A quote that was said in sacrament that really touched me was that these people gave their today so that we could have our tomorrow.

Lest we Forget

The other main thing that stood out to me this week was when we were visiting with a member in the ward. They are a young couple, both converts and have two wonderful boys. I knew that the spirit was within their home as soon as I walked into their door. I could just
feel the love and serenity within those walls. Their little boy is 3 and I was amazed at how tame he was. Just a wonderful quiet little kid who takes the world in his own way. I played legos with him for a little bit as we talked to his parents and then he just turned to his dad and said that he wanted to go to bed. Then he just cleaned up his toys and left for bed. I was truly very impressed, there was no arguing or crying or yelling or ANYTHING! I want my home to be the same. These little children are in their parents hands not to be ruled over and dictated to but rather guided and helped through the trials of life. I have seen so many wonderful examples of parenting and I love each one in their own ways. I must say that to be honest, I have really started to miss you. My family is so important to me and I pray for you each night. ALL OF YOU. Individually. I know Heavenly Father hears and answers my prayers still and always will because he loves us. I asked them how they had their son so.....responsible and they told me that they based their parenting of this quote.

"There should be no yelling in the home unless there is a fire " - President David O. Mackay.

I was amazed . It makes sense and this is how I want to parent. I want my children to know their limits and to make their own decisions and know that they can always talk to me about their problems. I want them to know that I love them. Family is the most important thing in this world. It is the only thing that will give you true joy. Always remember that.

Well I hope that you all enjoyed this letter home this week. I know that I enjoy reading each of yours :) I love you all. Until next week just remember this,

I love you

Elder Dotschkat

Sunset in England


Coming in from the snow

Gui Fawkes day - a bonfire night celebrating the initial attack on parliment by Gui Fawkes who didn't believe in the current political party that was in power. English people are crazy and just burn random stuff to celebrate the night while they light off fireworks. Elder Putnam standing in front of a burned out couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment